Thursday, January 15, 2009

Our Clothing from Me and Martha Stewart

Back in the late 90's........I worked with Martha Stewarts secretary for an event that came to the hotel I was working for. Regardless of what people say, Martha Stewart is a nice woman and she is very smart. She was very kind to me........I met her for the first time the morning of the event.......she was speaking at a luncheon for Breast Cancer. Then I joined her in a workshop speech. The menu was prepared by Martha and our fabulous chef who now ownes his own fabulous restaurant. I was so lucky to meet all the people I did when I was in the social circuit. Here are some tips from Martha and me about clothing care.

Cotton my favorite fabric along with linen becomes stronger when wet, but Wool weakens, so handle wool with extra care when washing. Yes you can wash some wools. I wash in cold with gentle Wool Light and dry on drying rack on on a towel. Sweaters, lingerie, and silks look, feel and smell the best when washed by hand.

Ironing in a circular motion can stretch a fabric. Always move the iron back and forth with the grain of fabric.

I love love love monograms.....Keep a monogram or other embroidery crisp and distinct by ironing it properly. Face down, on a thick terry cloth towel. The raised monogram, nestled in the terry cloth, will not be crushed or flatened beneath the pressure of the iron. This goes for hankies too. Then iron on the right side tyring not to touch the monogram. Sometimes I have too.....I don't like the wrinkles around it.......

When buying a man's suit........regardless of the size of the hand, a man's jacket sleeve always ends five {5} inches from the tip of his thumb, per Martha Stewart. Do make sure your husband is comfortable with that length. European designers believe in showing the wrist bone, cut their sleeves shorter than American designers.

Men's trousers....The narrower the trousers, the shorter they should be, to avoid ungainly fabric pileup on top of the shoes. The more bunchy the break, the shorter the line of the pants. As a rule, do whatever makes the trousers look longer from the front. Be sure and get your tailors advice too........Martha Stewart Clothskeeping Magazine.

No comments: