Thursday, March 13, 2008

Letters

Letters~~mingle souls. I just wanted to give you ideas about letter writing from Alexandra Stoddard and the book "The pleasures of Staying in Touch, and from me too.....I have listed things important to me in letter writing. Now, if the stamps will stop going up.....I am so happy that I have saved most of my journals and notebooks of what I loved to do and things I did each day......really fun to read.....I have forgotten most of these things and I am glad I can see what I loved to do and now I am going to bring what I used to do back in my life gradually. Since my TBI I have missed doing so much......and I knew my life was not as complete with daily things I did. These notebooks and journals bring back the real Victoria and the Victoria I have greatly missed......my sister Debra gave me the idea for a blog and encouragement.....and she helps make sure I keep it going and up to date. So, I hope that you pick up your pen one day and write a letter or note to a friend or family member. With society today.......the manners and grand things of yesteryear have almost gone away forever. I plan to keep it going.

Keep boxes of cards on hand so you can send at a moments notice. I buy some of my boxes cards from http://www.christianbook.com/ They really have great bargins. You have to really serach in the Bargin area.

We have never talked together the way we have sometimes in letters. A letter gives us time to reflect and compose our thoughts without interruption or distraction. In letters we can watch each other's life unfold moment by moment. Horace Walpole once sail: I never understand anything until I have written about it. Letters really are windows to the soul. Letters are a gift of your time and affection, which makes them very rare and special, but they also give back a great deal to the writer. Byron observed that "one of the pleasures of reading old letters is the knowledge that they need no answer". Letters do require a little effort.....but you can rest and take the time to think and jot a note. You will feel better after writing a letter and the joy it will bring to the person receiving the letter will be so worth it. Writing exercises your mind. A letter lifts spirits and will nourish the soul. What a nice treat for someone to go to their mail box and receive a letter or card. I do that each day......I hope to get a letter or card Write from your heart.

Grace notes:
Have pretty stationary on hand. Set your area or desk with all that you need to write letters. Keep the area uncluttered. Stamps, paper, ink well (sometimes I write with a a glass pen and ink well) different color inks.....I use my fountain pens with my inks.....and I keep on hand my wax sealing kit. Letter writing is really a ritual for me.

Send your own notes on blank cards you don't always have to buy a card. In the wintertime sit by your fireplace if you have one. The fire crackling. If you give a book, write a note inside your book as you give away as a present.

Attach a pretty stamp inside a letter you send to someone so the receiver can send it on to a friend. Sprinkle some perfumed dried flowers inside an envelope. I sometimes use my dried wild flowers. Save beautiful stamps to always have on hand so you can at an moments notice send a note. Decorate a large envelope with pretty stickers. If you ever deliver a letter by hand or invitation seal with wax.

Apprendre a` amier (Learn to Love)

When I am down to my last piece special paper or note cards I save it and then I keep in a pretty rose folder.......or butterfly folder and save......its fun to go back and see the pretty paper I have collected.

ALWAYS send a thank you note when someone does something for you......its rude not to.

Write a loving letter to someone you have not seen in a long time.

Address your envelopes and stamp them before you begin to write your message so you have a pure, burden-free time.

I love sending post cards too.

Collect US commemorative stamps..they are fun, history, and they are American.

Sit up straight at a desk so the muscles in your wrist and arm work to help the flow of words across the page.

Save all good letters and notes with envelopes in flowered hat boxes. Opening the lid is such pleasure to look through all you have saved. RIBBONS.........when I get mail in that I don't have time to open I place a pretty ribbon around the letters/mail and read later on in the day....When I save letters I always place pretty ribbons around them. I like to make everything beautiful and I hope this year I can get back to that in my life. Day at a time.

Be sure and keep your fountain pens clean and dry and away in their boxes when not in use. I am such a fan of fountain pens....one of my clients saw my pens (many have been lost, boo hoo) anyway he gave me his dad's 1959 Fountain pen with gold tip....its in perfect condition. He passed away a few years ago.....what a treasure he gave me and I think of him everytime I use it. He was such a nice man.

More to follow!

No comments: