Sunday, December 7, 2008

Grapefruit and More Grapefruit

The season is here for many fruits. I love Grapefruit. I could not have grapefruit for 5 years due to the medicine I was taking. How grateful I was to not take that medicine anymore. Now I enjoy this delicious fruit. Be sure to talk to your pharmacy.....precious grapefruit can't be in your diet with certain medications. Did you know:
1 medium pink, red, or white grapefruit contains: 82 calories, 3 grams fiber, 356 mg of potassium, 88 mg vitamin C, and 2.096 mcg. of lycopene.{nutritional profile from Vegetarian Times, January 2009}. Vegetarian Times also tells us that even though grapefruits might look the same they are not. Those that feel heavy in your hand will be the ripest and juiciest. I used to broil my grapefruit with brown sugar or sugar.....the ones I bought last month were not good for eating and I was really disappointed so I like Simply Grapefruit Juice. I hope you can find some really great grapefruit this season and they are good in gifts baskets too.

No comments: